President and CEO Hotels City Express
President of the National Association of Hotel Chains
He has more than 35 years of professional career in the tourism sector. Thanks to his disruptive vision, he revolutionized the hotel industry in Mexico by creating Hoteles City Express, a hotel chain focused on offering lodging services to business and leisure travelers, which stands out for operating under a sustainable model.
Hoteles City Express achieved unprecedented growth in Latin America, by opening a hotel every six weeks on average; it is currently the hotel chain with the largest coverage in Mexico. For Luis Barrios innovation is a crucial factor to achieve success, following this ideal, it diversified the offer to serve travelers at different times of travel, thus creating five brands: City Centro, City Express Suites, City Express Plus, City Express and City Express Junior.
Luis Barrios directs the chain's business strategy and the operation of its 153 hotels in four countries: Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia and Chile. Hoteles City Express is the first chain in Latin America to become an affiliate member of the World Tourism Organization.
He has been a member of different boards of directors, he is currently chairman of the board of Hoteles City Express, board member of Grupo Financiero Actinver and member of the advisory board of NAFINSA, Mexico City. In the tourism sector, he is a member of the General Assembly of the National Tourism Business Council, president of the National Association of Hotel Chains, member of the Advisory Council for Tourism of Mexico City, international vice-president of the Association of Hotels of Mexico City, adviser to the presidency of the Mexican Association of Hotels and Motels.
The contribution of Luis Barrios to the tourism sector in Mexico has been recognized by different organizations and institutions, obtaining:
• The 2012 Business Leadership Award, granted by the Chamber of Commerce, Services and Tourism of Mexico City.
• The recognition of Excellence in Design 2012, for Greater Efficiencies (Environmental Sustainability), granted by the World Bank - IFC.
• The Anáhuac Medal in Tourism 2012, awarded by the Universidad Anáhuac, A.C.
• The title of Entrepreneur Of The Year 2013 by Ernst & Young.
• La Pochteca de Plata 2013 in the Tourism Development category, awarded by the Federal District Government.
• The 2013 Mexico City Tourism Award, awarded by the Mexico City Tourism Secretariat.
• The Expansion Mexico 2013 Winner Award, given by Ernst & Young.
• The Recognition of the successful trajectory of Hoteles City 2014, granted by the Chilean Embassy in Mexico.